We're an affiliate
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. There is no cost to you. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
Just the other day, I was cleaning my carpets at home and when I was halfway done, I ran out of the store-bought carpet cleaner. I knew if I had to make a trip to the store to buy more cleaners, I sure could not complete the task of cleaning the carpet. You all know how one loses psyche when you are interrupted in the middle of doing something. Thus, I decided to look around the house to see if I could find anything to use instead. Guess what I found? Your guess is as good as mine. I settled for the laundry detergent.
There are times when professional carpet cleaning products are too expensive or you just cannot access them at the time of need like in my case above. What do you do? Can you use laundry detergent to clean your carpet? Can you make your own cleaning solution at home? Yes, you can use your laundry detergent to clean your carpets. It would work just as effective as the store-bought cleaner. In addition, it will leave your carpet smelling as clean. You can also make your own carpet cleaning solutions. Read on for more insight into this.
How Do You Use Laundry Detergent in a Steam Cleaner?
Steam cleaners like this are powerful cleaning tools. They work similar to the vacuum cleaner but with the steam and added cleaning solution, they can remove stains and the kind of dirt that a vacuum cleaner alone cannot remove. Thus, if you need to clean your carpets and you do not have the solution at hand, you can simply substitute it with the laundry detergent. Here is how to use laundry detergent on your steam cleaner.
Pour water into the steam cleaner up to the fill line. You can use a quart jar, a gallon jar or a container that will help you keep track of how much water you have put in the unit.
For every quart of water put in the steam cleaner, add one tablespoon of laundry detergent.
Turn on the steam cleaner and let it heat for some minutes. You can then clean the carpet as you usually do. As you clean, check the water reservoir and keep refilling with laundry detergent and clean water as needed.
However, you have to be very cautious when using laundry detergents on your carpets. Laundry detergent chemistry is meant to be rinsed thoroughly through immersion. This may not be possible when cleaning carpets, and it can lead to mold buildup. Thus, you have to be careful with your proportions when measuring the detergent to use to avoid creating too much foam on your carpet.
Can You Make Your Own Carpet Cleaning Solution?
As already mentioned, sometimes professional carpet cleaning products can be a bit expensive. You can make your own cleaners to using with your shampooing machine or use with whatever cleaning tool that you have.
There are two big reasons to make your own cleaners. First, you will save money because the ingredients needed are less costly compared to the commercial cleaners. Secondly, you will maintain a healthy home because you are using natural ingredients as opposed to the chemical-based ingredient.
Homemade carpet cleaners do a great job in stain removal and treatment of high-traffic areas. You can use a number of recipes; if one does not work the trick, you can just move on to the next. Here are some of the home recipes to try for a carpet cleaning solution:
- Carpet cleaner and conditioner- a carpet cleaner and conditioner is almost similar to a commercial cleaner. It will leave the carpet smelling fresh, clean, and soft. To make this solution, you simply mix in a bucket liquid laundry, an all-purpose liquid cleaner, Oxiclean, fabric softener, and hot water.
- Aromatic non-toxic cleaner- if you have kids or pets, it could be advisable to come up with non-toxic cleaners. To come up with one, simply mix white vinegar, water, salt, and some essential oils such as pine, lemon, or lavender.
- Using a window cleaner- window cleaners are no longer being used on the windows only. You can make a carpet cleaner with it. Simply take a window cleaner of your choice and mix it with an equal proportion of water.
- Ammonia-based cleaners- ammonia cleaners are more effective than typical cleaners. However, you have to take caution when handling them because they are corrosive and they can damage the eyes, skin, lungs, and even certain materials. To make some, you will need to mix in a bucket some liquid dish detergent, ammonia, vinegar, and water.
- Lemon and peroxide cleaner- hydrogen peroxide makes a powerful cleaner while lemon creates a unique great smell. A combination of the two can make one of the best homemade carpet cleaners. To make one, mix in a bucket hydrogen peroxide, water, and lemon essential oil.
- Making the basic powdered cleaner- powdered carpet cleaners are mostly used greasy stains and spills. You can make one at home using some baking powder, cornstarch, crushed bay leaves, and crushed dried potpourri.
- Borax and baking soda cleaning powder- a mixture of borax powder and baking soda makes a powerful and effect deodorizer and cleaner. You only need to mix in a bowl some baking soda, borax, dried herbs or flowers, and essential oil.
How Do You Clean the Carpet?
Now you already have your homemade carpet cleaner or laundry solution that you intend to use for carpet cleaning. How do you go about cleaning your carpet? You can either clean the carpet by hand using a shampooer.
Cleaning the carpet by hand
Once your solution is ready, transfer it into a spray bottle or shaker, which you will use to apply a thin and even layer of your cleaner to the carpet. Shake the bottle well just to be sure the ingredients mix properly.
You need to do a spot test of your cleaner before applying it widely on the carpet. You need to be sure that your homemade cleaner or laundry detergent will not damage your carpet. Pick an inconspicuous part of the carpet such as the part that will go under the furniture. Sprinkle some cleaner on a small section of it and give it at least 24 hours. You can then check if there is any discoloration, color-fastness, or any other damage. Proceed to use your cleaner if there is no damage whatsoever on the test spot.
If there are marks or spots on the carpet, sprinkle the cleaner on them. If you are cleaning the entire carpet, divide it into three to four sections and do one at a time to ensure the entire carpet is covered. Start with the farthest end as you proceed towards the door to avoid being trapped.
Allow the cleanser to soak in for about 10 minutes. This is to make the liquid laundry detergents to soak in and the powder cleaners to absorb stains and odors.
You can now use a carpet brush like this to scrub the spots with the cleaner or the entire carpet if you were cleaning the whole carpet. Scrubbing will help push the detergent or cleaner deeper into the carpet and loosen the debris and dirt that is lodged in the carpet fibers.
After thoroughly scrubbing the carpet, give it at least 30 minutes to let the liquid cleaners to dry. Vacuum the carpet thoroughly once the liquid has dried up and the stains and smells have been absorbed.
Cleaning the carpet using a shampooer
- Just like the above procedure, you have to do a spot test fast to ensure that you are not using a product that will damage your carpet.
- Fill your shampooer’s reservoir with your laundry detergent, homemade solution or whatever cleaner that you are using. If your shampooer has separate holders for clean water land the cleaning solution, be sure to fill both accordingly.
- Turn on the shampooer and start cleaning the carpet from the farthest end.
- Let the carpet rest for at least 24 hours to give it sufficient time to soak in and dry.
- Once the carpet is fully dry, you can go ahead and vacuum it.
What Items Should You Never Use For Cleaning Your Carpets
Your carpet is an expensive investment. Thus, you are going to take proper care of it to ensure it does not get any damage. Above, we have discussed the different alternatives to consider when you cannot access or afford store-bought carpet cleaners. While you may have several options, there are certain things you should avoid, lest you will damage your carpet. Check out the following:
Bleach is a good whitener for such things as dirty socks. However, it should never be used on carpets. Bleach actually strips off color from fabric though it is a great stain remover. Do not tackle carpet stains using bleach unless you no longer care about your carpet.
White wine can be used to remove red wine stains. However, it is not a good option for carpet stains. Avoid it and use the other stain removal tactics that could be more effective.
Most people assume that it is fine to scrub thoroughly to make things even cleaner. Unfortunately for carpets, using rigorous methods such as abrasive cleansers will only cause the carpet to fray and tear.
What are the various carpet-cleaning techniques?
You can clean your carpet using various techniques such as shampooing, dry cleaning, foam cleaning, bonnet cleaning, and hot water extraction.
Can you deep clean a carpet?
You can deep clean a carpet and save yourself the hassle of renting carpet cleaning equipment. However, you have to take precaution and ensure dries fully to avoid mold buildup.
Related Article: Can I Use A Handheld Steam Cleaner On Carpet?