Many people assume that a washing machine damages Lululemon leggings. The thing is, you can machine-wash your leggings without having to worry about them getting damaged. The danger comes at the end of the cleaning process, with the dryer.
So, can you put lululemon leggings in the dryer? No, it is not recommended. The heat from the dryer can damage your leggings since it breaks down the elastic fibers in them. After several times in the dryer, the leggings become loose and cease to hold everything in place, which is their intended purpose. More than that, the heat from the dryer can cause Lululemon leggings to shrink. The best way to dry them is air-drying.
This article will look at why you should not place Lululemon leggings in the dryer, how to properly dry your Lululemon leggings and a safe option for using a dryer when necessary. We will also highlight tips on maintaining your Lululemon leggings, how to clean them and get rid of stains.
Why You Should Not Place Lululemon Leggings in the Dryer
As mentioned above, tossing your leggings in the dryer is a bad idea that could lead to damage. Even though after the first time your leggings may seem intact, making this a habit will eventually cause them to fall apart.
How does the dryer affect leggings?
You already know that leggings are made from elastic fibers. Some of these fibers include spandex or Lycra. These elastic fibers are very sensitive to high heat like the one produced by the dryer. The heat tends to break down the spandex and Lycra fiber.
If you constantly toss your Lululemon leggings in the dryer, the elastic fiber will eventually break down. This will mean that the entire leggings fall apart or get damaged. It does not matter how badly you need your leggings dry, if you want them to be durable and functional, do not dry them in the dryer.
How to Dry Lululemon Leggings Properly
The best way to dry your Lululemon leggings is by air-drying them. Air-drying is gentler on the fabric compared to using a dryer. That means that the leggings will remain intact and functional for longer since the elastic fibers will not be damaged
Note that leggings do not take a long time to dry since they are made of moisture-wicking material. For the best results, place them on a drying rack exposing them to the sun. The heat from the sun helps to kill bacteria if any remain after washing the leggings.
Are there Safer Ways to Place leggings in a Dryer?
Sometimes tossing your Lululemon leggings in the dryer may be unavoidable; you may need them urgently or the weather may just not be suitable to go without them. In that case, if you insist on drying the leggings in the dryer, there is a safer way to do it.
The safest way is tumble-drying your leggings in the dryer. This involves setting your dryer on the lowest setting so that it uses very low heat to dry the leggings.
However, drying your leggings in the dryer should not be a routine, if you want to avoid damaging them.
Tips on Maintaining Lululemon Leggings
Other than air-drying your Lululemon leggings, here are some more tips to make sure they last you as long as possible.
- As soon as you have sweat on your Lululemon leggings, make sure you wash them. The manufacturers recommend that you cold-wash them. Washing in cold water helps to maintain their shape and elasticity. Warm water damages the elastic fiber in the leggings.
- Using hot water tends to spread stains, if there are any, on your fabric. Avoid using hot water when trying to get rid of stains.
- When washing your leggings, sort them separately from other clothing. For instance, you shouldn’t clean them together with other gym clothes. Mixing your leggings with cotton clothes will cause the fuzz from the cotton to adhere to the Lululemon fabric. That means your leggings will appear old with fuzz of different colors.
- The lint from other clothes could also end up staining your Lululemon leggings. This is especially true if your leggings are brightly colored.
- For brightly colored Lululemon leggings, wash them completely alone. If you must wash them with other gym clothes, make sure they are the same color. Also, when brightly colored leggings are wet, keep them away from other clothes to avoid staining.
- Do not use fabric softeners when washing your Lululemon leggings. Fabric softeners work by coating clothes with wax to make them feel soft after washing. The problem is that this wax prevents the special fabric of the leggings from wicking the sweat you producem therefore defeating some of the purpose for the leggings.
- Minimize the amount of laundry detergent you use as detergents can be hard on the Lululemon legging fabric.
- Another tip is to make sure you turn your leggings inside out before washing them. This helps to get rid of the soils and stains that may have accumulated on the inner part of the leggings. It also helps to prevent rips and tear and to keep your leggings from fading. Alternatively, you can place the leggings in a delicates bag when machine washing them. This will also help protect your leggings from tearing.
- Hand washing your leggings is recommended more than machine washing. Hand washing your leggings maintains the fabric for longer.
- If you wear your Lululemon leggings frequently, avoid wearing them consecutively without cleaning them. This makes them wear out quickly.
- Above all, always check the label of your Lululemon leggings which will contain instructions on how to proplerly care for your leggings.
How to Machine Wash your Lululemon Leggings
We have mentioned a lot about washing your Lululemon leggings above. Even though hand washing is the most recommended method for cleaning your leggings, tossing them in a washing machine is sometimes unavoidable.
Should you want to machine-wash your Lululemon leggings follow the procedure below:
Step 1: Turn your leggings inside out.
Step 2: Place the leggings in a delicates bag or a pillowcase if you do not have such a bag.
Step 3: Place the leggings in the washing machine.
Step 4: Set the machine to a cold delicate cycle or gentle cycle.
Step 5: Machine-wash your leggings.
Step 6: Once you are done washing them clean, remove the damp leggings and allow them to air dry.
How to Get Rid of Stains from Lululemon Leggings
Stains on your leggings are a possibility especially for brightly colored ones. If your leggings get stains, you do not have to dispose of them. Treating them using the right detergents can help you get rid of the stains.
Step 1: Make sure you treat the stains as soon as they occur. This helps to prevent stains from being stubborn and spreading to other parts of the fabric.
Step 2: Test the stain remover you intend to use on a hidden area of the legging. This will help you be sure that the chemical of the stain remover will not damage the fabric of the legging. To be sure that the stain remover is safe, allow it to sit on the fabric for some time, then check if there is a discoloration.
Step 3: Using a stain remover, treat the stained area. Make sure you put the stain remover only on the stained area to avoid damaging other parts of the fabric.
Step 4: Allow the remover to sit on the stain for some time so that it can act on the stain.
Step 5: Dab thestained spot with a cloth, but do not rub the stain too hard which could spread it to other parts of the fabric.
Step 6: Once the stain is removed, run the fabric under cold water and rinse the remover out.
How often should I wash my Lululemon Leggings?
Many people use Lululemon leggings to work out. That means that they produce sweat, which is absorbed by the fabric. It is recommended to wash your leggings after each use if you tend to sweat. However, if you do not sweat, then you can put on your leggings at most twice before cleaning them. Make sure you clean your leggings unless you want to harbor bacteria in them.
Moreover, if you do not use your leggings for exercising and use them as casual pants, you want to wash them after three uses, at most.
Can I use regular bleach to get rid of stains on my lululemon leggings?
No, you should not. Using bleach will damage the elastic fabric of your leggings. Look, we understand that regular bleach is your go-to for any stain on your cotton clothes. It works.
However, for leggings, it does not work. Therefore, it is recommended you use oxygen bleach on them. Make sure the oxygen bleach works for all colors to avoid white splotches on your colored leggings. Remember, legging material is very delicate and should be handled with extra care.
After how long should I replace my leggings?
If you are using your leggings to work out, it is recommended you replace them after 6-8 months of use. This also applies if you wear your leggings consistently, even in a casual manner.